[vtkusers] Surface from points

Gib Bogle g.bogle at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Dec 16 15:07:23 EST 2010

I'm looking at a dataset that is a collection of (x,y,z) points that lie on a
complex surface.  The way the points are generated ensures that they are closely
spaced.  I want to generate and render the 3D surface in VTK.  I'm guessing that
this is a commonly-encountered situation, and I'm hoping that someone can give
me a quick pointer to the best way to approach it.

The points are actually in the form of 540 z-slices, and in each slice there is
a set of polygons, i.e. a set of (x,y) sequences.  The (x,y) point spacing is
less than the (constant) z spacing.  (The slices were extracted from microscopic
images.)  There are about 1,000,000 points.

Thanks.