[vtkusers] Selection model interaction between infovis views and non-infovis views

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Fri Aug 27 11:46:49 EDT 2010

Well, if you're just talking about the performance of a "3D plot" type of visualization, if you're satisfied with displaying vertices like the point cloud in that example (with my graphics card they show up as little filled squares), then your performance should be just fine since they will be drawn as simple OpenGL vertices, which are very fast. If you move to something like point sprites, that will be fast, too, and should handle tens of thousands. But, if you glyph each vertex with something like a sphere or other 3D shape, then you'll start to slow down rendering all of those polys.

For other types of 2D graphs, there are at least a couple of different solutions within VTK, and their performance might vary. I know part of the motivation behind the new Charts classes (generally falls under the category of the "new 2D API") has been performance. Those classes aren't quite as mature, and are changing rapidly, but if performance is a big issue you might want to go that way.

Talk to you later,
-Eric