[vtkusers] VTK Legacy ASCII format - "Error reading ascii cell data!"

hiro mmessne2 at illinois.edu
Wed Aug 18 16:30:36 EDT 2010

I've been trying for a few hours to fix code converting PATRAN neutral files
to vtk format (unstructured grid).  Here's a link to a (2 MB ish) test
output:  https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/mmessne2/shared/test.vtk link .  If you
delete the cell information the points load in just fine.  However no matter
what I try I always get a "Error reading ascii cell data" error.  I've
checked:

1) Making sure the right amount of nodes and element connectivities are
listed in the vtk file.  The length of the cell_types section correctly
matches the number of cells.
2) That the element connectivities are in the right range (0 to 56766 in
this case).
3) The second parameter of the CELLS heading (total length of connectivity
array) is correct.  Since all the elements are 20-node hexes 20*8022=160440.
4) Cells have the right number of nodes (20).

I just want to know if anyone can find what is wrong with the sample file I
linked.  Hopefully when I figure that out I can go back and fix the
conversion code.

Thanks,
Mark