[vtkusers] vtkOBBTree

Kevin Chavanne kchavanne at 3dneovision.com
Wed Aug 18 08:26:21 EDT 2010

Hi,All
I want to compute Oriented Bounding Box of a STL model(a kind of polygonal
model) to get three lengths of the OBB and I find vtkOBBTree has a member
function :

void vtkOBBTree::ComputeOBB( vtkPoints * pts, double corner[3], double
max[3], double mid[3], double min[3], double size[3] )

I guess this function can help me. From VTK Documentation,I got the
following description:

Compute an OBB from the list of points given. Return the corner point and
the three axes defining the orientation of the OBB. Also return a sorted
list of relative "sizes" of axes for comparison purposes.

After wrote a test program, I found the max[3],mid[3] and min[3] specify
three vectors which is orthogonal by ones and twos and they can form a
coordinate system. But I don't know the meaning of arguments "corner[3]" and
"size[3]" above exactly.

Could someone please give me some help? I want to know:
1.what are the arguments mean in Function ComputeOBB()?
2.Is there any other method to compute OBB of a polygonal model? I just need
the three lengths of the OBB. Thanks in advance.

Dest wishes,
Kevin