[vtkusers] Problem in loading big images using vtkimagereader

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Wed Aug 11 09:43:08 EDT 2010

there _is_ but the actual code in the vtkImageReader2 class uses the
"long" and not the "vtkIdType" which would help solve the problem. An
example is the following that was posted to the ParaView mailing list:

In the void vtkImageData::AllocateScalars(); method the following
should be used:

  vtkIdType extent[6] ={ this->Extent[0], this->Extent[1], this-
 >Extent[2],
                         this->Extent[3], this->Extent[4], this-
 >Extent[5]};

instead of
  const int* extent = this->Extent;

In the case of vtkImageReader2 it is probably "long" instead of int.
Either way on Windows, both are a 32 bit integer no matter how you
compile it.

Mike Jackson                      www.bluequartz.net
Principal Software Engineer       mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
BlueQuartz Software               Dayton, Ohio