[vtkusers] Problem in loading big images using vtkimagereader

Jim Peterson jimcp at cox.net
Wed Aug 11 08:57:17 EDT 2010

All,
Would this be a situation where the enthusiastic risk taking programmer
might copy some subset of vtk modules to the vtklocal directory to make
local modification for 64 bit windows builds? in this case converting
the 32bit integer file size fields to 64bit for the affected file access
modules in the windows builds.

Does anyone have a starting list of affected modules to begin such a
task with?

Thanks in advance.
Jim

Michael Jackson wrote:
> Because vtkimagereader2 uses the "long" type for calculations in the
> data extents and other places. On windows "long" evaluates to a 32 bit
> integer no matter how you compile it. On Linux and OS X which use the
> LP64 model "long" will evaluate to a 64 bit integer. The added range
> of the 64 bit integer allows the larger images to be loaded.
>    For now you will have to find another way to load your images into
> vtk until a fix is committed to vtk.
>    These types of problems are not new to vtk as I have reported a few
> in the past.
>
> -----
> Mike Jackson                      www.bluequartz.net
> Principal Software Engineer       mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
> BlueQuartz Software               Dayton, Ohio
>
> On Aug 11, 2010, at 5:34, "Arunachalam Kana"
> <Kana.Arunachalam at fh-wels.at> wrote:
>

>> Hi Mike,
>>
>> I have tested the same code in linux system and it works. I am able to load dataset >3Gb.
>> I think your theory is right. Can you please explain why this happens and how can i solve this problem to load large image data set in windows system.
>>
>> Kana

>>> Win64". So i think the vtk libraries are also built for 64 bit