[vtkusers] GUI integration

nclemeur nclemeur at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 22:37:50 EDT 2010

Bugzilla from egk865 at yahoo.com wrote:

> I have noticed some flickering issues on Windows XP during resize though
> I'm not sure of the cause. Linux and Mac seemed to be fine for me. See the
> thread started here:
> http://www.vtk.org/pipermail/vtkusers/2010-June/109872.html

It seems that it might be covered in the
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/FAQ#How_can_I_stop_Java_Swing_or_AWT_components_from_flashing_or_bouncing_between_values.3F
FAQ . I will try that tonight. Hopefully, this will help...

Bugzilla from egk865 at yahoo.com wrote:

> I've never tried displaying in Java from within C++ as you suggest, though
> it might work since the Java wrappers are just a very thin layer on top of
> C++. You would need to test. This is assuming you avoid the AWT classes.
> If however, you want to use the AWT classes then it might be a lot more
> difficult since I believe you need to deal with other things like
> threading issues. You would probably want to learn more about the AWT
> Native Interface.

Well, my intention was to use the available class (for example
vtkRenderWindowPanel) and send to my C++ layer a reference to the renderer
and cast to to a native vtkRenderer and then work on it in C++ (I am quite
new to vtk so this might be completely wrong). When done with it I would
request a repaint from java, so that the screen get's updated...  Does that
make sense or am I going in the wrong direction? Would that prevent the
threading issue your are mentionning?  I am quite close to get an
environment where I can start testing this, so hopefully I can answer some
question my-self, but please let me know if you believe this is really a
wrong approach.

Thank you again

Nicolas