[vtkusers] GUI integration

Nicolas Clemeur nclemeur at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 07:48:58 EDT 2010

Hello,

I am in the process of choosing how to integrate vtk with a GUI, and
it is not really clear which way to go, so I would appreciate any
advice. I need a cross platform solution (Windows and Linux). I have
some experience with wxWidgets and Java.  At this stage I would rather
use Java over C++, so my first inclination would be to use vtk + vtk
Java wrapper + java. Anyone would have any comments on this solution.
I saw there were some memory problems with the Java wrapper, and it's
not clear to me if these have been solved in the latest release. Could
anyone confirm. I have a little bit worked with wxWidgets + vtk and it
worked fine but I find my-self really more productive in Java, so if
there is not real problem with that solution I would choose it. I am
kind of tempted by the python wrapping (+ wxPython), but this would be
another layer to learn again and another world (python) to discover.
Are the python wrappers much better than the Java one for example?...
So I would appreciate any advice on the matter...

Best regards

Nicolas