[vtkusers] vtkFixedPointVolumeRayCastMapper Problem in java

Stef_D stephane.dallongeville at pasteur.fr
Tue Apr 27 04:10:37 EDT 2010

Sercani wrote:

> Hi everyone;
>
> I am using vtk java wrapping for MIP ... so decided to use
> vtkFixedPointRayCastMapper for these projections.First I wrote in C++ and
> everything works great.But in java(exactly the same code but in java
> syntax
> of course) it always crashes when rendering the vtkPanel first time and
> gives this stack overflow exception:
>
> An unrecoverable stack overflow has occurred.
>
> #
>
> # An unexpected error has been detected by Java Runtime Environment:
>
> #
>
> #  EXCEPTION_STACK_OVERFLOW (0xc00000fd) at pc=0x50aee7e7, pid=3268,
> tid=5264
>
> #
>
> # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (11.0-b16 mixed mode windows-x86)
>
> # Problematic frame:
>
> # C  [vtkVolumeRendering.dll+0x4fe7e7]

I'm quoting your post as i've the exact same problem as you. I can bring
news pieces as i spent many time on this problem without success :
- It does work prefectly on OSX 10.6.3 (so with osx adapted compilation)
- It does work with a pure win64 version (64 bits JVM with 64 bits VTK
compilation) but the 64 bits VTK version brings some others problems.
- It does not work with win32 version which is a shame as it's probably the
most used version. I tried many VTK version (nighty, 5.4.2, 5.0... ) with
many JVM version and always got the same result as soon i try to use the
vtkFixedPointVolumeRayCastMapper with volume rendering. I need it as it's
the only mapper which actually support multi component volume rendering.

Someone else experienced this problem ? Can it be fixed or is it a bug in
VTK library ?
I don't understand why only the win32 port is affected (maybe other 32 bits
ports but i didn't tested)...
Thanks in advance for any help !

Cheers.