[vtkusers] CVS->Git Transition Plan

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Apr 19 10:55:21 EDT 2010

Brad King wrote:
> CVS commits to these repositories have been disabled.  I will complete
> the final conversions of history today and over the weekend.

We're pleased to announce the completion of the repository conversion.
The CVS repositories have been permanently frozen (though I'll be adding
one extra commit to them to point folks that try them at the new repos).

Development of VTK, ParaView, IceT, and Xdmf is now officially hosted
by Git.  All repositories may be browsed online via gitweb:

  http://vtk.org/gitweb
  http://paraview.org/gitweb

The individual gitweb pages show the repository URLs.
The git clone/fetch URLs for the repositories are:

  git://vtk.org/VTK.git
  git://vtk.org/VTKData.git
  git://paraview.org/ParaView.git
  git://paraview.org/ParaViewData.git
  git://public.kitware.com/IceT.git
  git://public.kitware.com/Xdmf.git

Replace "git://" with "http://" to get http protocol access.

>   http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Git
>   http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView/Git

The Wiki pages have been updated to refer to the official repositories.
Additional documentation about branches, submodules, workflow, update
hooks (previously known as commit checks in CVS) will be added in the
coming weeks.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The official histories now published at the above
URLs are *incompatible* with all previous Git repositories for these
projects.  You *must* do a *fresh* clone from scratch.  Please do not
try to pull into an existing clone that was created from the CVS->Git
tracking repositories or any experimental repository previously
published (even at the above URLs from any date before 2010-04-19).

In order to reduce confusion we've deleted the Github and Gitorious
repositories that previously published the CVS->Git tracking repos.
Furthermore, the new repositories will not yet accept merge commits.
Please rebase your work on master before pushing to them.  We will
switch to a branchy workflow once things have settled.

-Brad