[vtkusers] pvtu

STYLIANOS DOSOPOULOS dosopoulos.1 at osu.edu
Mon Apr 12 19:53:53 EDT 2010

Hi, all,

I have implemented  an MPI code and I want to use VTK's parallel file format(pvtu). The computational domain is already partition using METIS.

What  I want to do is:

for i=1:1:N
A) Each MPI has its own data to file
    (data_i_0.vtu, data_i_1.vtu, ... data_i_MPI_Size-1.vtu).
B) Then combine all the files to create data_i.pvtu file to visualoze the
    whole domain.
end

So far  I have,

vtkUnstructuredGrid* mesh = vtkUnstructuredGrid::New();
   addNodes(mesh, nodeNum, nodeArray);
  addCells(mesh, tetNum, tetArray);
  addCellMaterial(mesh, tetNum, tetArray);
  addPointScalars(mesh, nodeNum, eField, "E");
  addPointScalars(mesh, nodeNum, hField, "H");
    // Parallel
  string outputFile(outFilePrefix);
  outputFile.append(".pvtu");

  vtkXMLPUnstructuredGridWriter *pwriter = vtkXMLPUnstructuredGridWriter::New();
    pwriter->SetInput( mesh );
     pwriter->SetFileName(outputFile.c_str());
//   pwriter->SetDataModeToBinary();
  pwriter->SetDataModeToAscii();
  if (MPI_RankID == 0)
  {
      pwriter->SetNumberOfPieces( MPI_Size );
    pwriter->Write();
   }
  else
  {
    pwriter->SetNumberOfPieces(1);
    pwriter->SetStartPiece(MPI_RankID);
    pwriter->SetEndPiece(MPI_RankID);
    pwriter->Write();
  }

  mesh->Delete();
  pwriter->Delete();

I get the files  that I want but when tryig to visualize the  pvtu ifiles in VisIt
I get an error

If anyone has an idea on how to do this  I would appreciate it.