[vtkusers] RE Boolean Operation on two (cube) objects

Bryn Lloyd blloyd at vision.ee.ethz.ch
Fri Apr 9 02:20:25 EDT 2010

Hi,

I have not been following this thread, but it seems to me that a similar
problem was discussed a while ago, with a solution using the GTS library.

http://old.nabble.com/boolean-operations-td25491156.html

Basically, you can convert the polydata to a gts surface and then
perform boolean operations.

I did this previously. Here is the code (and the xml files to create a
paraview plugin):

http://www.vision.ee.ethz.ch/~blloyd/vtkSurfaceBooleanOperations/

Cheers
Bryn

Stephane PLOIX wrote:

> Hi Sebastian,
>
> VTK is not a CAD tool, so you may not find exactly what you need.
>
> The clip operation is made cell by cell.
> If you have a box as input, then you have 6 cells which are the 6 faces
> of your cube.
> I think what you are looking for is an hexaedron, which is one volumic
> cubic cell.
>
> After that, during the clip operation, the cell(s) are clipped by the
> 0-level set of the field you set as input, the values being linearly
> interpolated between the vertices inside the cell.
> The distance field to a cube is higly non-linear, so there is no chance
> that you will get what you are looking for.
>
> Now you have two solutions :
> 1/ dividing your input in smaller cells so that the non-linear nature of
> your clip function is not too far from the linearly interpolated one.
> 2/ implementing a non-linear clipping operation inside the cells.
>
> While the second solution would be a great addition to VTK, it is also
> very difficult to implement...
>
> Best,
> Stephane
>

> *sebastian.gatzka at stud.tu-darmstadt.de*
> Envoyé par : vtkusers-bounces at vtk.org
>
> 08/04/2010 11:26

> 	vtkusers at vtk.org
> cc
>
> Objet
> 	[vtkusers] Boolean Operation on two (cube) objects
>

> Hello World.
>
> I have finally manged to clip one cube with another.
> The result is not what I have expected.
> The intersecting cube clips one edge-point of the first cube and with it
> all the attached faces.
> Look at the attached image to see how this looks like.
>
> What I really wanted to realize was that the intersection is cut out and
> not to delete the whole sides.
> It's hard to explain but a boolean operation like "substract" may
> descibe it the best - like the picture* boolean.png* in the attachement!

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

> Ce message et toutes les pièces jointes (ci-après le 'Message') sont établis à l'intention exclusive des destinataires et les informations qui y figurent sont strictement confidentielles. Toute utilisation de ce Message non conforme à sa destination, toute diffusion ou toute publication totale ou partielle, est interdite sauf autorisation expresse.
>
> Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire de ce Message, il vous est interdit de le copier, de le faire suivre, de le divulguer ou d'en utiliser tout ou partie. Si vous avez reçu ce Message par erreur, merci de le supprimer de votre système, ainsi que toutes ses copies, et de n'en garder aucune trace sur quelque support que ce soit. Nous vous remercions également d'en avertir immédiatement l'expéditeur par retour du message.

> [...]

Bryn Lloyd
Computer Vision Laboratory
ETH Zürich, Sternwartstrasse 7, ETF C110
CH - 8092 Zürich, Switzerland
Tel: +41 44 63 26668
Fax: +41 44 63 21199