[vtkusers] Fwd: vtkTubeFilter Side/Border Thickness

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 13:13:02 EDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 1:08 PM, Fauze Polpeta <fauze.polpeta at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi David;
>
> I did as you suggested: 2 tube filters, one external (greater) and one internal.
>
> I turned capping on for the external one, and keep the internal with
> capping off. However the capping on of the external tube has visually
> overlap the internal tube. So I'm not able to have may "cookie" walled
> ring. In other words, it seems like I have a single tube filter (the
> external) with capping on.
>
> What you mean with "and do some trickery to clip the cap of the first tube" ?
>
> Best Regards
>
> Fauze

Here is one "trick" I could imagine -

Call the two cylinders you have so far C1 (inner cylinder, with radius
R1, capping off) and C2 (outer cylinder, radius R2, capping on).  Make
another cylinder (C3) with radius R1 and make it slightly longer than
C1 and C2. Then use something like:
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/ImplicitDataSet to cut away the
geometry that lies inside C3. This should leave you with the shape you
are looking for.

If you're brave, you can try to add something like this to
vtkTubeFilter so you can just do a SetThickness and all this mess is
done automatically. It seems like a reasonable thing to add to VTK.

Thanks,

David