[vtkusers] VTK 4.4: VS2008 vs. VS2005

Clinton Stimpson clinton at elemtech.com
Wed Sep 23 11:20:20 EDT 2009

On 09/23/2009 08:49 AM, Affolter Martin wrote:
> Hello
>
> I did some time-measuring for creating and rendering a given 3d-model (CAD-Application). The goal was to check the performance of VTK 5.4.2 vs. 4.4. I wrote about that in an e-mail earlier this week.
>
> This time, I measured times with vtk 4.4 dlls built in different Visual Studio Versions: VS2008 (VC9) and VS2005(VC8). The measured times using the VC9 compiled dlls are about twice as long:
>
> VTK 4.4 VC8: 6-7 s
> VTK 4.4 VC9: 12-13 s
>
> The application sourcecode did not change. It is a release-version, built in VS2008 (VC9). I built to versions of it, one linking to the VS2005, the other to the VS2008 libs. I did not mix vtk-dlls, I can assure that using looking at the dependencies.
>
> Has anyone experienced a slower perfomance with vtk dlls built in VS2008 instead of VS2005?

I don't think its a visual studio issue.
I've seen slowdowns like yours going from VTK 4.x to VTK 5.x if there
were a large number of actors.
If I remember right, last time I profiled it, (a long time ago) the
slowdown was related to information key stuff.

Do you have a large number of actors?

Clint