[vtkusers] Question to Dataset Attribute Format

Petry Stefan petryste at hs-albsig.de
Tue Sep 22 02:17:39 EDT 2009

Hello everyone,

I want to display a simple quadrature by using VISIT 1.10. Additionially I want to set the attributes.

If I display just a triangle, I use the following data file format (seen on pdf-document "VTK File Formats") and everything works fine:

# vtk DataFile Version 3.0
Test
ASCII
DATASET UNSTRUCTURED_GRID
POINTS 3 double
0.0 0.0 0.0
1.0 0.0 0.0
1.0 1.0 0.0
CELLS 1 4
3 2 1 0
CELL_TYPES 1
5
CELL_DATA 1
SCALARS My_Attributes double 1
LOOKUP_TABLE default
1.0

If I try this with a quad, it looks in the following way:

# vtk DataFile Version 3.0
Test
ASCII
DATASET POLYDATA
POINTS 4 double
0.0 0.0 0.0
1.0 0.0 0.0
1.0 1.0 0.0
0.0 1.0 0.0
POLYGONS 1 5
4 0 1 2 3
CELL_TYPES 1
9
CELL_DATA 1
SCALARS My_Attributes double 1
LOOKUP_TABLE default
1.0

My question is: Why doesn´t it work to set the attributes (on SCALARS) when I use quad?
When I use the triangle, VisIt shows it coloured, but not when I use a quad!

Best regards

Stefan