[vtkusers] Performance VTK 4.4 vs. VTK 5.4.2

Affolter Martin martin.affolter at ntb.ch
Mon Sep 21 12:32:28 EDT 2009

Dear VTKUsers

I've been looking into the vtkusers archive for a while now, and it helped me solve my vtk-problems in most cases. We use VTK in a CAD Application and decided to move from version 4.4 to the latest release, which is 5.4.2 at this time. So I downloaded the sources, made a VS2008 solution with Cmake and built the libs and dlls. Besides replacing some deprecated methods I did not have to change anything in our code. No compiler-warnings, no errors (of course).

When I tested version 5.4.2 against 4.4 I found out, that 5.4.2 takes about 3-4 times longer to visualize a 3d-model of some robot-arm than version 4.4 did. The rendering while interacting is also very, very slow. Can anybody confirm such a performance drop? If so, then I think we might stick to v4.4 a little longer, if not, then I'll have to figure out what went wrong in my tests.

Thanks
Martin