[vtkusers] volume rendering with geometrically correct 2D spacing

lars-friedrich lars-friedrich at gmx.net
Mon Sep 21 04:35:41 EDT 2009

Hello,

I am thinking about generating volume renderings of 3D-volumes using VTK
with well-known geometrical setup.

I know the camera position, the view up vector and the focal point (the
point where the central axis crosses the virtual "2D view plane"). Now, I
can setup vtkCamera to fulfill these constraints, invoke a
vtkVolumeRayCastMapper, and generate the "2D-image" within the scene.
Furthermore, I can take a vtkWindowToImageFilter and extract the generated
2D image (which will always have spacing 1.0).

How can I apply the real (according to the camera setup in world
coordinates) 2D image spacing to the generated image? Do I have to calculate
it myself, and then apply it to the image?
As I understand it, the 2D output image resolution solely depends on the
involved vtkRenderWindow's size. How can I generate a 2D image with a -
theoretically - arbitrary spacing? Is the vtkRenderLargeImage class the
right tool for that?

I would be very grateful for comments and hints on that topic! Please, let
me know if there is someone who has experience in this field. Maybe there is
someone who has tried to generate geometrically correct fluroscopic
projections using VTK ...
Tank you!

regards,
lars