[vtkusers] Old documentation appears as first (and only!?) google search result

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 08:41:11 EDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Dave Partyka <dave.partyka at kitware.com>wrote:

> Well the older versions are directly linked on the documentation page:
> http://www.vtk.org/VTK/help/documentation.html
>
>  <http://www.vtk.org/VTK/help/documentation.html>I don't think there is
> anything that can be done that wouldn't result in us actually removing older
> versions of the documentation which we definitely *do not* want to do.

I don't think users would typically go to the vtk website, click
documentation, and then find the class they are interested in. Maybe I'm
wrong here, but I'd assume they'd just google vtkClass.

What about a script that adds a link to the newest version at the top of all
of the old pages?

Something like:

vtkMath Class Reference
(NOTE: this is the documentation from release X. The current version is Y
and can be found here : http://newversion/vtkMath)

This should at least attempt to provide a warning - no one is going to look
at the url but they might read subtext under the title.

Thanks,

David