[vtkusers] boolean operations

Bryn Lloyd blloyd at vision.ee.ethz.ch
Fri Sep 18 03:26:23 EDT 2009

Michele,

An alternative to using the Boolean package would be to use GTS (GNU
triangulated surface library):
http://gts.sourceforge.net/

It is good at doing boolean operations, using (I think) exact arithmetic
operations. I have found it is quite robust.

Here is an explanation how to create a gts surface from a vtk polydata
(surface):
http://www.vtk.org/pipermail/vtkusers/2009-July/101865.html

Cheers
Bryn

David.Pont at scionresearch.com wrote:
> Michele,
> These seem to be a good starting point:
>
> http://www.bioengineering-research.com/vtk/vtkCollisionDetectionFilter.htm
>
> http://www.cs.unc.edu/~geom/collide/
>
> cheers, Dave P
>

> Michele Conconi <michele.conconi at unibo.it> wrote on 18/09/2009 01:20:32
> a.m.:
>
>  > I have some problem with boolean operation. Basically I need to compute
>  > difference and intersection among polydata,. that I obtain from .stl
>  > files. I see the work of Denis Shamonin, that should be the solution to
>  > all my problems. Anyway I am not able to compile his libraries, since I
>  > work with visualstudio and cmake. Any clue? Does someone have some
>  > further example of the use of this library?
>  >
>  > Thank you in advance
>  >
>  > Michele
>  > --
>  > * Eng. Michele Conconi*
>  > Ph.D. student
>  > DIEM - Dept. of Mechanical Engineering
>  > Alma Mater Studiorum - University of Bologna
>  > Viale Risorgimento 2, 40136, Bologna, Italy
>  > Email: michele.conconi at unibo.it
>  > Website: http://www.diem.ing.unibo.it/grab
>  > Office: (+39) 051 20 93451
>  > Mobile: (+39) 329 0287996
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  > * INFORMAZIONE RISERVATA E CONFIDENZIALE *
>  > Questo messaggio contiene informazioni riservate e confidenziali.
>  > Se il lettore non fosse il destinatario del messaggio, inoltrato e
>  > ricevuto per errore,
>  > il testo dovrà essere immediatamente cancellato dal computer del
> ricevente.
>  > E' assolutamente proibita qualunque circolazione, disseminazione o
>  > copia del messaggio spedito e/o ricevuto per errore.
>  >
>  > * CONFIDENTIALITY and WARNING NOTICE *
>  > This message may contain legally privileged or confidential information.
>  > If the reader is not the intended recipient, you received this message
>  > in error
>  > and it should therefore be deleted from your computer at once.
>  > Any dissemination, distribution and copying of a message
>  > mistakenly sent or received is strictly forbidden.
>  > Powered by www.kitware.com
>  >
>  > Visit other Kitware open-source projects at http://www.kitware.com/
>  > opensource/opensource.html
>  >
>  > Please keep messages on-topic and check the VTK FAQ at: http://
>  > www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ
>  >
>  > Follow this link to subscribe/unsubscribe:

Bryn Lloyd
Computer Vision Laboratory
ETH Zürich, Sternwartstrasse 7, ETF C110
CH - 8092 Zürich, Switzerland
Tel: +41 44 63 26668
Fax: +41 44 63 21199