[vtkusers] volume rendering to show first surface

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Tue Sep 8 13:41:06 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 06:41 +0530, Chamanthi Karunasekara wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a set of colour .raw images where the object is in the center
> and the background is black. I want to volume render them in true
> colour so that their outer surface only is visible. I found that it is
> possible to volume render for maximum intensity, minimum intensity and
> composite in vtk. Is there a way of ray casting that the ray penetrats
> the black black ground and shows the surface when it encounters the
> surface where the colour is not black? Could I do it through using
> some thresholding filter?
>
> Thanks,
> Chamanthi

I just want to make sure I understand you, your images have three values
per pixel representing red green and blue at each position. Is that
correct?

I think you should add a fourth channel representing opacity to each
pixel. This should be 0 if the color is black and 1(or 255) otherwise.

vtkImageLuminance and vtkImageAppendComponents may be of use.