[vtkusers] How to fix Mac OS X problem of applications not being able to dine dyld libraries

Mike Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Fri Sep 4 14:17:23 EDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 1:49 PM, Andrew Wiles<adwiles at alumni.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> Thanks Sean.  I did ignore that step because I read somewhere else that the
> issue was resolved on the CVS as far back as 5.2.
>
> Elvis, in your technote,  is Step 04 needed in the VTK 5.x instructions?
>  Since you set the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX variable above, you are not actually
> installing to /usr/local.  Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing
> something else that should have been there.  Seems like we are doubling up a
> step.
>
> Finally, in order to get all of this to work in an app_bundle in xcode, I am
> assuming you took snippets of Mike's script and put it in the run script in
> xcode.  i.e. you updated this script
> (http://www.vtk.org/pipermail/vtkusers/2008-October/097573.html) with the
> missing pieces from Mike's script.  Is that correct?
>
> Thanks again for all your help in getting this running.
>
> Cheers.
> Andrew
> ___________________________________
> Andrew D. Wiles, PhD, PEng
> Dept. of Medical Biophysics, The University of Western Ontario
> Imaging Research Laboratories, Robarts Research Institute
> Lab email: awiles at imaging.robarts.ca
> Personal email:  adwiles at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
> Laboratory web: www.imaging.robarts.ca
> Laboratory phone: (519) 663-5777 x24136
> Personal web: www.imaging.robarts.ca/~awiles

If you are using CMake to manage your project then you can use the
"BundleUtilities.cmake" that comes with the latest versions of CMake.
This will run install_name_tool on the libraries and executables when
being installed (or packaged) so that the libraries will be referenced
correctly from the executable, ie, the libraries will have an install
name of "@executable_path/../........"

Works great.

If you are NOT using CMake then you will have to write the script your
self to do all the recursive fixups.
Mike Jackson                  mike.jackson at bluequartz.net