[vtkusers] vtkVariant from wrapped languages

Jeff Baumes jeff.baumes at kitware.com
Tue Oct 27 08:07:15 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 9:54 PM, David Thompson <dcthomp at sandia.gov> wrote:

> Hi Jeff (and list),
>
> I saw that you submitted bug #8829 and a uservoice.com request for
> accessing vtkVariant methods from wrapped languages. I ran into this problem
> as well and came up with at least a partial workaround for python: the code
> below should give you read-only access to any vtkVariant in a
> vtkVariantArray.

Very nice. The brevity of this code suggests that it would not be too hard
to integrate this into at least the python wrappers of VTK. The issue is
that we normally must implement a fix for all wrapped languages at once
(Java and Tcl too), and there is hardly anyone who can easily do all three
by themselves. Getting this fix in would likely require some coordination
from multiple developers.

Jeff