[vtkusers] Decimating a vtkUnstructuredGrid? (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mark, Eric (Civ, ARL/CISD) emark at arl.army.mil
Mon Oct 26 14:16:32 EDT 2009

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Hello all,

I'm trying to reduce the cell count of a vtkUnstructuredGrid and I'm hoping
there is a way to do this using existing vtk filters.  I have a tetrahedral
volume where many of the cells have a common scalar value.  I would like to
create a larger tetrahedra by combining existing tets that share a face and
have a common scalar value.  In other words can I take 2 adjacent tet cells
that have the same temperature value and combine them creating a new tet?
For my purposes the final output would need to be a single
vtkUnstructuredGrid dataset.

I've seen some of the threads that talk about using a vtkGeometryFilter and
then vtkDecimatePro however I'm not sure it applies since I need the final
result to be a unstructured grid of tets?

Thanks,

Eric