[vtkusers] How to generate a mesh from surface points (original surface not convex)

lynx.abraxas at freenet.de lynx.abraxas at freenet.de
Mon Oct 26 06:39:18 EDT 2009

On 24/10/09 14:31:52, David Doria wrote:
> I haven't had any luck doing this in VTK. CGAL is much harder to use,
> but it has what you're looking for:

http://www.cgal.org/Manual/last/doc_html/cgal_manual/Surface_reconstruction_points_3/Chapter_main.html

Thanks a lot for that hint David! I didn't know about cgal before. The problem
I have now is how to get the normals for that algorithm.  My  points  are  the
centres  of  labeled  blobs  that  I  got from the analysis of a tomogram. For
humans it's very easy to  see  the  envelope  shape  but  setting  the  normal
direction of the points by hand is probalby more work than drawing the countur
manually.

I want to post general thanks here as well for the help of the experts in  the
list  that  make  it  possible  for someone like me to get going with vtk/itk.
Although I've access to the books I'm often stuck  on  not  knowing  what  the
terminology for my problem is.

So many thanks to all of You for Your support.
Lynx