[vtkusers] Fwd: Your suggestion please about that

Cory Quammen cquammen at cs.unc.edu
Tue Oct 13 21:02:37 EDT 2009

FWIW, I have created a VTK wrapper class around TetGen. The class
takes a watertight vtkPolyData (defined by triangles or quads) as
input and produces a vtkUnstructuredGrid consisting of tetrahedral
cells as output. The source code is attached.

If you want to drop these files into your VTK source tree, you'll have
to modify them a bit. Please let me know if you need more guidance to
get it them to compile as part of VTK.

You'll also need to define the TETLIBRARY symbol during compilation
(this prevents TetGen from defining a main function). Either add this
line to your CMakeLists.txt file:

ADD_DEFINITIONS(-DTETLIBRARY)

or uncomment the line

// #define TETLIBRARY

in tetgen.h.

This class uses TetGen to determine whether the input vtkPolyData is
watertight. If it is not, the output unstructured grid will contain no
cells. It uses TetGen's default tetrahedralization algorithm which is
fast but may not produce high-quality meshes. You can adjust the
options passed to the tetrahedralize() function to get higher-quality
meshes.

- Cory