[vtkusers] Source derived from vtkAlgorithm

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 12:01:56 EST 2009

I am trying to make a Source that produces a custom object. That is, if I
create an object vtkTest and I want to make a vtkTestReader (or
vtkTestSource) so I can do:

vtkTestSource* Source = vtkTestSource::New();
Source->Update();
vtkTest* Test = Source->GetOutput();

To do this, my understanding is that you have to derive directly from
vtkAlgorithm.

I have tried to do this here:
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_Examples_vtkAlgorithm_Source

but DATA_TYPE_NAME and DATA_OBJECT that I saw in vtkPolyDataAlgorithm and
similar seem to be undefined.

Can anyone help straighten out this example? This seems like a reasonable
thing for someone to want to do and it seems pretty complicated. Providing a
shell like this I believe will be very helpful.

Thanks,

David