[vtkusers] speed

Tim Smith (25121) tksmith at minara.com.au
Sat Nov 28 02:27:03 EST 2009

Hi, I'm looking at a project modelling a large dataset in 3d. I looked
at vpython briefly since I'm familiar with python but I found it far too
slow for my purposes - a model composed of just 50,000 spheres ran like
a dog on a mid range quadro card, and my models might go up to a million
data points.
So I've resigned myself to needing to use something like vtk in c++,
however while I wait for it to compile in visual studio, I thought I
might ask if even vtk can handle such a requirement? I need to be able
to rotate and zoom around the models with reasonable ease as well as
turn various components of the model on and off.

IMPORTANT - This email and any attachments may contain confidential or privileged information intended solely for the intended recipient and / or copyrighted material.  If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, interfere with, disclose, copy or take any action with reliance on this email or any part of it. If you have received this email in error please advise the sender via return email and delete or destroy all copies of this email and attachments.  Any claim to confidentiality or privilege is not waived or lost by reason of mistaken transmission of this message.  Any unauthorised use, copying or distribution is prohibited.  Minara Resources Limited does not warrant that this email or any attachments are free of viruses and cannot guarantee the accuracy, reliability or completeness of this email and any attachments.

www.clearswift.com