[vtkusers] vtkDataSetWriter + components

Nico Schlömer nico.schloemer at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 13:23:10 EST 2009

Hi,

so I tinkered more with VTK and several data sets that need to go into
one file, and as I couldn't find out how to put the data sets seperately
into a file, I looked into making them components of one (uber) data set.

I tried the following

=========================== *snip* ===========================
    vtkDataSetWriter* writer = vtkDataSetWriter::New();
    writer->SetFileName("filename.vtk");
    writer->SetFileTypeToASCII();

    vtkImageAppendComponents * imageAppend =
vtkImageAppendComponents::New();
    for (unsigned int k=0; k<numVectors; k++ ) {
      // [...] create spData
      imageAppend->AddInput(spData);
    }

    writer->SetInputConnection(imageAppend->GetOutputPort());
    writer->Update();
    writer->Write();

and it appears indeed that several components are written to the file,
labeled "Magnitude", "X", "Y" -- how to change this? This is when there
are actually *two* components to the file, and in this case "X" and "Y"
would represent the same data set.

Is there any documentation on this besides doxygen? Examples, maybe?

Cheers,
Nico