[vtkusers] vtkTriangleFilter

Snehal Kasodekar snehal.kasodekar at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 20:26:00 EST 2009

Hi,

I wanted to generate a triangulates sphere mesh.
I use the following code:

   // create sphere geometry
   vtkSphereSource *sphere = vtkSphereSource :: New();

sphere->SetCenter(mySphereCenter[0],mySphereCenter[1],mySphereCenter[2]);
   sphere->SetRadius( mySphereRadius);
   sphere->SetThetaResolution(100);
   sphere->SetPhiResolution(100);
   sphere->Update();

   vtkPolyData* sphereData = sphere->GetOutput();

  vtkTriangleFilter *triangleFilter = vtkTriangleFilter::New();
  triangleFilter->PassVertsOff();
  triangleFilter->PassLinesOff();
  triangleFilter->SetInputConnection(sphereData->GetProducerPort());
  triangleFilter->Update();

vtkPolyData *triangulation = triangleFilter->GetOutput();

  vtkIdType outNumPts = triangulation->GetNumberOfPoints();
  vtkIdType outNumCells = triangulation->GetNumberOfCells();
  vtkIdType outNumPolys = triangulation->GetNumberOfPolys();
  vtkIdType outNumLines = triangulation->GetNumberOfLines();
  vtkIdType outNumVerts = triangulation->GetNumberOfVerts();

The output consists of paralel triangular chains with no connections between
them. How can I generate a triangulation that covers the entire object ?

Thanks,
Snehal

PS: This is my first post, so if any more information is needed please let
me know.