[vtkusers] MacPorts updated vtk-devel to 5.4.2

Darren Weber darren.weber.lists at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 16:10:45 EST 2009

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 7:01 AM, Christopher Denter <
dennda at the-space-station.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I've been trying to install both, vtk5 and vtk-devel through MacPorts on
> Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard but without success.
> Both attempts fail with some compilation/linking error and I don't exactly
> know what to do. (Especially since I'm new to OSX and are more used to
> apt-like package managers.)
>
> Installing vtk5 gives me: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/145645/
> For vtk-devel it is: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/145644/
>
> By the way: I will need the python bindings. Are they included if I install
> vtk as I tried above?
>
> Regards,
> Christopher

Hi Christopher,

It's best to report these bugs on the MacPorts track system.

I maintain the vtk-devel port, but I've not yet upgraded to 10.6, for fear
of being inoperable for a while.  When they get to about 10.6.4 I might feel
more comfortable with the upgrade process ;-)  If I come across a serious
restriction in using 10.5, I might have to bight the bullet, but so far
things are going well enough.

Anyhow, the *+huge* variant provides a lot of things that you may not need.
The *huge* variant is a *convenience* that simply requires other variants
(some of those variants are also convenience variants that require, in turn,
several basic variants).  Take a look at:
*port variants vtk-devel*

The build error in your paste board is related to a build for a dependency
on mpich2, which is required by the *mpi* variant.

Check what you need in the way of extra features (the +<variant> is enabled
by default).  I believe the default variant does install on 10.6.x.  Also
see:
http://trac.macports.org/wiki/SnowLeopardProblems

I hope this helps,
Darren