[vtkusers] Changes from VTK 4.4 to 5.4?

Affolter Martin martin.affolter at ntb.ch
Thu Nov 5 08:07:55 EST 2009

Hello VTKUsers

I'm still struggling with the performance drop from VTK 4.4 to VTK 5.4. We use VTK to visualize CAD-Models with thousands of actors (each vertex, face or edge is represented by its own actor). The rendering with 5.4 is too slow, so I am not able to switch to the newest version, even though I'd very much like to.

I have not gotten a lot of feedback on my last two e-mails, so I still don't know what causes the slowdown. Does anyone of you have information on what actually changed from 4.4 to 5.4 in terms of visualization pipeline and rendering? Is there any documentation on changes in the architecture?

I am willing to give you more information on how we use vtk in our application if necessary.

Martin

PS: We work with Visual Studio 2005/2008.