[vtkusers] How to build libraries for both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures

Darren Weber darren.weber.lists at gmail.com
Thu May 28 21:17:06 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 8:18 AM, Elvis Dowson <elvis.dowson at mac.com> wrote:

> Hi Sean,                   Thanks for the advice, it really does reflect
> what I've just discovered. Trying to get things to move to 64-bits on a new
> Mac OS X 10.5.x installation is quite involved.
>
> I had more problems trying to compile the snapshot version of Qt-4.5.x for
> 64-bits, so I'm going to wait till they release the official version and
> then try the Cocoa bindings.
>
> On Sep 29, 2008, at 7:06 PM, Sean McBride wrote:
>

> However, perhaps you are doing too many things at once.  Although both
> VTK and Cocoa support 64 bit, they are both much better tested in 32
> bit.  I would suggest working only in 32 bit.  Are you using 64 bit
> because it was the only way to get Cocoa support with the new Qt?  I
> suspect Qt is also much better tested in 32 bit.  Considering you are
> using a new Qt with experimental Cocoa support, adding 64 bit into the
> mix will only complicate things.
>

> Yes, as I'm discovering right now. For the moment, I'm going to make do
> with Carbon support and try to get things to work in 32-bits.
>

> Also, are you building libjpeg and libpng for VTK's sake?  It would be
> simpler to just use the versions that come with VTK itself, instead of
> trying to use separate versions.  Just building VTK with default
> settings will use the built-in versions of those libs.
>

> Actually, I needed this for grass-6.4.x, which requires that I install the
> following libraries
>
> proj-4.6.0
> gdal-1.5.2
> libjpeg-6b
> libtiff-3.8.2
> libpng-1.2.31
> fftw-2.1.5
>
> So, I got stuck with libjpeg-6b, which I understand is problematic to
> compile for 64-bits for some reason.

Looks like grass, in some form, is ported in MacPorts:

[ dweber at X ~ ]$ port info grass
grass @6.3.0 (gis)
Variants:    darwin_9, mysql5, postgresql83, sqlite3, universal

GRASS is a Geographic Information System (GIS) used for geospatial data
management and analysis.
Homepage:    http://grass.osgeo.org

Library Dependencies: fftw, freetype, gdal, geos, jpeg, libpng, openmotif,
proj, tk
Platforms:            darwin
Maintainers:          nomaintainer at macports.org

I've done a lot of work to get vtk-devel into Macports too.  You might learn
a few things from the MacPorts port files, see:
https://trac.macports.org/browser