[vtkusers] vtkXMLWriter: How can I catch write errors?

Mike Taverne mtaverne at engits.com
Mon May 25 10:01:54 EDT 2009

Hi,

I'm using vtkXMLUnstructuredGridWriter and noticed that when I call the "Write" method, it always returns 1, even if writing to the file failed because of permission problems or a non-existent path.
An error code does show up in the terminal, but how can I catch it in my code?

Here's the Write method, which seems to only return 0 when no input is provided:
================
int vtkXMLWriter::Write()
{
  // Make sure we have input.
  if (this->GetNumberOfInputConnections(0) < 1)
    {
    vtkErrorMacro("No input provided!");
    return 0;
    }

  // always write even if the data hasn't changed
  this->Modified();

  this->Update();
  return 1;

}