[vtkusers] (bug?) vtkTransform.GetOrientationWXYZ segmentation fault after hand-inverting scaling

Stefano TRAPANI stefano.trapani at cbs.cnrs.fr
Tue May 19 13:07:40 EDT 2009

Hi everybody

Working with vtkTranform, I have come across several segmentation faults
which are apparently caused by calls to the GetOrientationWXYZ method.

After some tests, I realized that this happens with transforms that change
the hand of space, like inversions and mirror reflections. (I define this
kind of transforms by setting appropriate negative Scale parameters).

A simple python example that ends up with a segmentation fault is the
following:

from vtk import *
T = vtkTransform()
T.Scale(-1,-1,-1)
T.GetOrientationWXYZ()

Has anybody observed a similar behaviour ? Is this a bug in
GetOrientationWXYZ() ?

I am using VTK 5.0.3 with Python 2.5.2 [GCC 4.3.2] from Mandriva 2009.

Stefano TRAPANI

Centre de Biochimie Structurale (CBS)
CNRS UMR 5048; UM1; UM2; INSERM UMR 554
29 rue de Navacelles 34090