[vtkusers] best IDE for VTK and C++ under linux

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Tue May 12 15:00:33 EDT 2009

For Eclipse CDT code completion to work CDT MUST be able to find all
of the include directories and files. Eclipse does this 2 ways:
   Automatically: CDT will scan the compile commands and look for -I
flags, take the arguments from those flags and add those paths to the
"Paths & Symbols" table for indexing.
    Manually: YOU have to add every folder that you want indexed into
the "Paths & Symbols" table in the Project properties: Right click on
Project->Properties->C/C++ General->Paths and Symbols.

Once the entries in that table are entered correctly then you can
force a rebuild of the index by again right click on the project-
 >Index->Rebuild

Hope that helps.

If you are using CMake for your project and using either the Eclipse
generator or just plain makefiles then manually creating your projects
then you can add "VERBOSE=1" to the "build command" in the "C/C++
Build" preferences to have cmake output the full compile command.

Mike Jackson                  mike.jackson at bluequartz.net