[vtkusers] 2 more (possibly dumb) questions about vtkSeedWidget

Fri May 8 18:09:50 EDT 2009

1. In order to work with 2D windows, I have a vtkSeedWidget associated
with a particular image Slice. When the user changes slices,
vtkSeedWidget::SetEnabled(0) gets called to turn off interaction and
display. When the user changes back to a slice with an associated
SeedWidget, the converse happens: vtkSeedWidget::SetEnabled(1) is
called.

The question is this: Can I turn the SeedWidget back on without
putting it in the state where it's adding new points? I find myself
inadvertently creating a new point when what I want to do is to move
an existing one.  Hitting the right mouse button seems to sometimes
turn off adding new points on every click, but not consistently.

2. Our application has 3 different planar views -- anatomically they
represent Axial, Sagittal and coronal views.  My boss would like for
this program to allow a point to be initially created in one view, but
displayed in the other two views, and allow the user to move the point
in those other views. Is it possible to have ONE instance of
vtkSeedRepresentation, but attach it to 3 different SeedWidgets?

I can see this is probably not such a grand idea, since depending on
the ImageActor the SeedWidget is attached to, it has a different idea
about which direction the axes are pointing, relative to world
coordinates.  How would one do this?

According to my boss, Slicer can have a fiducial point manipulated in
three different views at the same time. Well one view at a time
because you only have one mouse pointer, but the point can be
associated with 3 views at once.  Unfortunately, it takes a lot of
study to figure out what Slicer is doing -- I can't even find where
the mouse interaction and point display is happening.