[vtkusers] The basics of setting up VTK in Windows

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri May 8 13:21:48 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 1:07 PM, Bob Palank <bob at stlcc.org> wrote:
> As I understand it, you can download cmake and all additional files and
> build it yourself from the source code! Perhaps someone else has already
> done all of the compilation and produced a complete set of .lib and .dll
> files.  To me requesting the current release libs and dlls seems reasonable.
> On the other hand, perhaps there is a reason all VS2008 users need to build
> from scratch ?
> Maybe someone else knows why.
> Please report what you find out.
> BobbyP

On windows I believe you should build vtk, itk ... from source most of
the time if you are developing your own software anyways because there
are two issues with a binary download. The first issue is that unless
you are using .dlls you probably need the libraries to be built from
the same compiler version (and sometimes same service pack) otherwise
you can and will run into library incompatibilities. Second you
probably want to customize the options of what is included in vtk (at
least I do that)..

John