[vtkusers] The basics of setting up VTK in Windows

Steve Chall stevec at renci.org
Fri May 8 09:22:42 EDT 2009

Colleagues,

I've had reasonable success setting up, maintaining and using VTK with
GCC/g++ in a Linux environment for a couple of years now.  However, I have a
new project coming up that stipulates that I use VTK in C++ within Microsoft
Visual Studio 2008, and I'm not sure where to look for guidelines for
practical setup:  where to put the include files and libraries, the best way
to let Visual Studio know where they are.  I downloaded and ran the Windows
5.4.0 installer, which seems to have only installed a tiny sample program
and none of the other stuff one needs to build VTK apps.  I've also
downloaded and decompressed the Source, Data, and Documentation files.  For
some reason the docs are not externally accessible to me, and at this point
rudimentary questions are proliferating wildly.  I'm sure there are
thousands of successful setups just like I want to create, and that I'm
missing something really basic and probably obvious.  Can someone point me
to a Getting Started and Setup guide for VTK with VC++?  Thanks.

-Steve Chall

 Senior Research Software Developer

 Renaissance Computing Institute

 Phone: 919-515-0051