[vtkusers] OS X / Java bindings

Felix Fischer f.fischer at fh-aachen.de
Tue Mar 24 12:28:30 EDT 2009

Hi all,

at http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=7137 I have found a bug
report that is telling me that is possible to run VTK on OS X with
Java bindings. The past days I have tried the same, but without
success. Both on Windows and Linux it compiled successfully und runs
perfectly.

On OS X there are (runtime) problems. I have tried Carbon, Cocoa and
X11 settings. Compilation with Java bindings is always fine. When
starting any VTK example (e. g. Cone), it gives
"java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError" when processing the vtkCommon library
(the libvtk*.dylib / *.jnilib files are definitively found,
LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set).

I tried 10.4 and 10.5, both on a PPC and an Intel-machine. I tried
Java5 and Java6 (Intel). I tried 32 Bit and 64 Bit (10.5, Java6). I
tried XCode IDE and "pure" gcc/g++. It is always the same (negative)
result: compilation is fine (all libraries are created), but at
runtime it crashes.
"otool -L" does not show any missing dependencies.

There must be something that I am missing here. It would be great if
somebody can give me a hint.

Thanks a lot
Felix