[vtkusers] VTK tutorial, step 5 (Cone5), OSX-Cocoa: fails to capture keyboard events

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Fri Mar 20 18:25:44 EDT 2009

I agree #2 is problematic.  Ironically, it is the best solution from the
point of view of the Mac design, but it does not work well cross-
platform.  Apple basically says "apps that display GUI should/must be
bundled" TransformProcessType() is a hack really, added exactly for the
kind of situation we are in: the cross platform situation.

Perhaps we should make as many examples bundles as possible, all those
that take no command line arguments...?

Mike, what do you mean about 'coming to the front'?
TransformProcessType() does not bring an app nor a window to the front.
Docs: "You can use this call to transform a background-only application
into a foreground application. A foreground application appears in the
Dock (and in the Force Quit dialog) and contains a menu bar. This
function does not cause the application to be brought to the front; you
must call SetFrontProcess to do so"

I don't remember from my testing what happens if you want keyboard
events to go to both the GUI window and stdin (in the Terminal window)....