[vtkusers] Streaming Pipeline

Mark Bolstad the.render.dude at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 10:11:42 EDT 2009

We had determined that this subset of the code is where we were having
problems, so it's what we were exercising. Typically we have an Image Viewer
attached to the end of the pipeline with a few other modules thrown in..

The dataset is a small subsample of the actual data. The data is to large to
fit into memory without either going parallel or streaming, hence the test I
provided.

A typical use case is for a user to read in a particular image, drill into a
subregion and trace a feature through the layers above and below (typically
around 10 images on either side of the target). They then either make some
adjustments or edit some meta-data and then move to another subregion on the
same layer, or zoom out, switch layers, and repeat the process.

So, issue number 1 is the data handling piece which is why I was looking at
the image streaming/streaming executive. The second issue is that the
graphic display of large images is rather pokey at 6k images, and we'll be
moving to tiled 6k images for even higher resolution.

Hope that clarifies what we're doing and maybe give some insight for a
solution.

Mark