[vtkusers] tutorial, step1, Cone runs like a snail on OSX 10.5

Francois Bertel francois.bertel at kitware.com
Thu Mar 12 20:11:53 EDT 2009

While I was writing the previous message, I thought it would be nice
to have this flag on the public API of vtkRenderWindow. I added a
feature request to VTK and assigned it to myself (so I'll not forget
about it...):

http://www.vtk.org/Bug/view.php?id=8733

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 8:02 PM, Sean McBride <sean at rogue-research.com> wrote:
> On 3/12/09 7:50 PM, Francois Bertel said:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>If your display has a vertical refresh rate of 60Hz and the vertical
>>blank sync is set on your system,
>>each rendering of a frame waits for the next vertical blank to swap
>>the  front and back buffer.
>>
>>360 frames/60Hz=6s.
>>
>>I don't know how you can switch that off as a end-user on Mac.
>
> François,
>
> Good thinking.  VBL sync is always on in vtkCocoaRenderWindow.  This is
> the responsible snippit:
>
>  [context setValues:&one forParameter:NSOpenGLCPSwapInterval];
>
> Darren, try commenting that line out and rebuilding VTK.  See if
> François' theory is correct.
>
> --
> Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com
> Rogue Research                        www.rogue-research.com
> Mac Software Developer              Montréal, Québec, Canada

1 (518) 371 3971 x113 | 28 Corporate Drive