[vtkusers] Off screen rendering Linux, OpenGL accelerated

Anton Deguet anton.deguet at jhu.edu
Tue Mar 10 17:20:58 EDT 2009

Hello,

I would like to know if there is an easy way to render off screen on
Linux (X) with OpenGL (NVidia accelerated).
My code looks like:

   vtkRenderWindow *pOffScreenRenderWindow =
vtkOpenGLRenderWindow::New();
   pOffScreenRenderWindow->OffScreenRenderingOn();

This works on Windows (at least XP, VS 2008, VTK 5.2) and Mac OS
(10.5, gcc 4, VTK 5.0).  I tried all kind of combinations on Linux
(CentOS, Ubuntu 8.04, VTK 5.0, 5.2, 5.3) and it fails.

Is there any reason this doesn't work?  Is there a magic method to
call or build configuration needed?

Anton

PS: I also did a bit of research and found the class
vtkXOpenGLOffScreenRenderWindow (http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/
VTK_Classes).  With some minor updates I got this class to compile and
run on Linux 64 (amd) with VTK 5.2.  The method ReportCapabilities()
lists NVIDIA as the OpenGL vendor.  It would be nice if whatever is
implemented in this external class could make it to VTK.

---
Anton Deguet, Research Engineer, ERC-CISST/LCSR, Johns Hopkins
University
e-mail: anton.deguet at jhu.edu, iChat: anton.deguet at mac.com
office phone: 410-516-5261, cell phone: 410-790-0456
JHU, LCSR, CSEB 137b, 3400 North Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21218,
USA