[vtkusers] Use VS2005-VTK in VS2008

Mike Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Mon Mar 9 20:54:47 EDT 2009

Some of this will be "well know" to those "in the know" but for the rest
of us here is my quick journey into vtk 5.2.1 with VS 2008 Express.

Create your build directory as usual.

1: Run CMake on the vtk sources as usual.
BUILD_TESTING=OFF
BUILD_SHARED_LIBS=ON
BUILD_EXAMPLES=ON
VTK_USE_GUISUPPORT=ON.
Clicke Configure.
Select VTK_USE_QVTK=ON and VTK_USE_RENDERING=ON.
Click Configure.
Click Generate.

Build vtk using VS 2008. Wait a while till complete.

Find the Cube.exe and launch it from a command prompt. A window will
appear with the 3D cube in it.

Trying to use the "VTK_USE_MFC" will fail because the VS 2008 Express
does not come with the MFC Headers and Libraries and Headers. The build
will fail because it can not find the afxwin.h header file.

I happened to have Qt 4.4.3 installed (I think I built that myself) so I
turned on the Qt support in order to be able to have some sort of
rendering. This turned out to work just fine.

What I did _not_ do to match your installation was all the tcl stuff. I
don't have a tcl/tk installation on this machine so I can not test that
but since I was able to build and run successfully the Cube.cxx example
I think that is enough to show that you can build and run VTK 5.2.1 with
the Visual Studio 2008 Express edition.

Last note: I am downloading the Platform SDK for Windows that one can
install in addition to the visual studio express in order to compile MFC
applications. I have not tried this approach since the Qt approach
worked just fine.

Hope some/all of that helps.
Mike Jackson                  mike.jackson at bluequartz.net