[vtkusers] apply uniform and non uniform margin (expansion or shrinkage) to polydata

gregthom gregthom99 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 8 13:42:08 EDT 2009

Greetings

I am trying to build an algorithm for adding a margin to a vtkpolydata in
order to expand it or shrink it.
lets say I have a polydata of a sphere of radius 3cm and I want to obtain
spheres of radii 2.5 and 3.5 from the original sphere expanding and
shrinking the vertices on original sphere.

Does anyone know what direction I should be looking to ?

Right now, I have my original sphere in polydata, I have computed the
normals at each vertex. I am thinking of expanding the points by the amounts
in the direction of the normals at each vertex. Is there a filter that can
warp the vertex to the new positions ?

Regareds

GT