[vtkusers] Pipeline Basic Question

Paulo Henrique Junqueira Amorim paulojamorim at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 14:49:29 EST 2009

I didn't manage to find the answer to this basic question in Google or
in VTK books, hope someone might help...

Having an original pipeline (all vtkImageData filters):
A -> B -> C -> D

Whose code is:
a = vtkA()
b = vtkB()
b.SetInput(a.GetOutput())
c = vtkC()
c.SetInput(b.GetOutput())
d = vtkD()
d.SetInput(c.GetOutput())

If in a certain moment inside the software developed, after the
creation of this pipeline, we change the input of a intermediate
filter, e.g.:

c.SetInput(x.GetOutput())

What will happen when we apply Render to the pipeline interactor (viewer)?

(i) The original pipeline will be lost, and the new pipeline will be:
X -> C -> D

(ii) This new input will be ignored, and the original pipeline will be kept:
A->B->C->D

(iii) We will be able to access data provided from both inputs,
setting a specific flag

(iv) Something else. In this case, what will happen?

Thanks in advance!