[vtkusers] parallel rendering on multi-core PCs>>

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Tue Jun 30 16:51:17 EDT 2009

I agree with Mike.

A good MPI implementation can run parallel VTK (and ParaView)
efficiently on SMP machines.
It is true that a native multithreaded application would be more
efficient. I have heard rumours of at least two groups who are trying
to address the issue.

You should also know the VTK does have some thread level parallelism
built in, mostly inside the Imaging filters, where the technique
frequently returns maximum benefits more or less trivially.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
28 Corporate Drive