[vtkusers] Difference between GLOBALIDS & PEDIGREEIDS

John Platt jcplatt at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Jun 23 04:33:07 EDT 2009

Hi,

Can anyone point me in the direction of a description of GLOBALIDS and how
they differ from PEDIGREEIDS?

>From the source code comments for GLOBALIDS

 -  Global IDs should not be interpolated because they are labels, not
"numbers"
 -  Global IDs should not be copied either, unless doing so preserves
meaning.
 -  Passing through is usually OK because it is 1:1.
 -  Must be of type vtkIdType.
 -  Must be unique?

and PEDIGREEIDS

- Pedigree IDs should not be interpolated because they are labels, not
"numbers"
- Pedigree IDs may be copied since they do not require 1:1 mapping.
- Can be any type.
- Need not be unique?

For example, if all my points are given unique labels of type vtkIdType,
some having the same coordinates (coincident), these would seem to fall into
the GLOBALIDS category. Given a line cell with point labels 8 & 9 (say), it
doesn't make sense to interpolate these labels if it is cut or clipped but
given vertices with point labels 10 & 11 (say) clipping would preserve
meaning.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

John.