[vtkusers] 3D surface mesh to vtkImageData

Wilbur C. K. Wong wilburckwong at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 00:13:27 EDT 2009

Hi All,

I would like to create a vtkImageData from a 3D surface mesh.  The mesh is
closed.  It represents a 3D model in terms of the model volumetric outline.
You can assume this mesh is smooth and triangular, but it can be concave.  I
want to have the output in vtkImageData having 0 voxel intensity if the
whole voxel is outside the model, 1 if the whole voxel is lay inside the
model, otherwise a value between 0 and 1 indicating the percentage of voxel
volume that is inside the model.

I know how to use vtkImageStencil to generate a binary vtkImageData from
vtkPolyData, but this approach does not take into account the partial
volume.

May vtkProbeFilter help?  It seems that I need to have a volumetric mesh in
order to do so.

Is there a combination of VTK filters that I can use to generate such
vtkImageData?  ITK filters or a combination of both are also fine.

I believe this is a very fundamental problem in the medical imaging
community.  May someone share his/her brilliant idea in tackling this basic
problem?

Best regards,
Wilbur