[vtkusers] Curious about differences in vtkMassProperties for VTK 5.04 and VTK 5.4.2

Azim azimjinha at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 14:36:54 EDT 2009

Hi Francois

Thanks for your reply.

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009, Francois Bertel wrote:
> Hi Azim,
>
> It smells like a broken TIFF reader to me: there were several messages
> recently reporting faulty behavior of the vtkTIFFReader.

I did search the vtkusers archive for tiffreader or vtktiffreader but
didn't seem to see any. I will look again.

> What happen if you use a different reader?

I tried to use vtkImageReader2 directly but the results were not
promising.  Althought the reported volume was closer to actual volume
(2069 pixels instead of 422pixels when I used tiffReader. the actual
number of pixels is 3902). However, when I render the image I

Are there any other image readers.  I am very new to VTK so I am still
trying to figure

> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 5:26 PM, Azim<azimjinha at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have a small python VTK function (pasted in at the bottom of this
>> email) that calculates the volume and surface area of an object embedded in
>> a stack of TIFF images.  To read the TIFFs into VTK I have used
>> vtkTIFFReader and processed the result using vtkImageThreshold and
>> vtkImageGaussianSmooth libraries.  I then use vtkMassProperties to extract
>> the volume and surface area of the object identified after smoothing and
>> thresholding.
>>
>> With VTK-5.04, this function returns the correct value for a test stack
>> (3902 pixels). However, the same function returns a different value (422
>> pixels) when I run it using VTK-5.4.2. Can someone explain this.
>>
>> Thank you in advance for all your responses/help
>>
>> Azim

<snip code>